Two posts in one day. What's this world coming to?
Damn, this one was a hard one. I got tagged by Wendy for this, and it's been sitting in my email "to-do" folder while I was thinking. I'm still thinking.
My music taste generally would be described as psychotic by most of my friends and neighbors. I prefer the term "eclectic". So these songs are by no means representative of my entire playlist. I'm just going to randomly pick ten songs out of my ITunes list that I've listened to recently and hope it gives you an idea.
1. Blue Railroad Train, by Jorma Kaukonen. The album is Blue Country Heart. You know the guy, I know you do. Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna. His solo albums are great acoustic blues.
2. Shenandoah, by Dave Alvin, from his Public Domain album. I love everything that man sings, but this is one my favorite albums of his.
3. OK, I can pick two by the same artist. From Dave's album Interstate City, the track Jubilee Train/Do Re Mi/Promised Land.
4. Let's shift gears. Memories Are Made of This, by Dean Martin. Very corny, I know. That's me. This music comes on, I want to go make myself a martini.
5. Jessica, by the Allman Brothers. This one makes me want to get in the car and drive. Or Blue Sky. Or Statesboro Blues. Anything from their live albums will do (don't get me started on which one's the best. Who cares?).
6. Beethoven's Violin Concerto, by you-know-who.
7. Beethoven's 7th symphony. My favorite version is from Leonard Bernstein's Final Concert album. This one just makes me happy.
8. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, by the Andrews Sisters. Really. It's impossible not to tap your toes while this one is on.
9. Smoking Panetelas on the Blue Mediterranean Sea, by the Aqua Velvets. Gotta have some surf guitar, and this is very seductive surf music. And I love the title.
10. Last but not least, what's a playlist without the Greatest Honky Tonk Singer Of All Time? We're talking Vern here, Vern Gosdin. Set 'Em Up Joe gets played around here a lot, especially when the bourbon comes out.
11. OK, it's my blog, I can do 11 if I want. I realized there is no bluegrass in that list. That lapse is not tolerated around here. Hmmmm, how to pick just one? OK, from Jerry Garcia, the best bluegrass picker and singer there is/was. That Grateful Dead thing was just a side gig. I'm giving you a three-fer. Shady Grove, from the album of the same name he did with David Grisman. Arabia, from an album entitled David Grisman & Jerry Garcia. It's an incredible over-16-minute jam. And really, last but not least, Teddy Bear Picnic, from the album Not For Kids Only. I had to include that one for Sweetpea.
12. Really, just one more, just because I love the movie it came from, and it just came up on the random ITunes playlist. Belleville Rendez-Vouz, from the movie Triplets of Belleville. If you like animated movies, go rent it. It's in French, but it doesn't matter, because there is little dialogue.
The list goes on and on.
OK, to tag ten bloggers. These are again just randomly selected from some of you, just because I want to hear what you listen to.
10. Lee Ann
Consider yourself tagged. No go read my other post from today. I wouldn't want you to miss it just because I got carried away and did two.